All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A case of the funks

I've been in a funk the last year or so. I blame my Real Day Job #1 (writing is what I get to do at night after my family goes to bed and I can blast my music loud and immerse myself in the computer). I had a couple of bad months, and it really affected me negatively. I got in this weird funk. I didn't even want to read anymore, guys!

It was bad.

And then November hit, and I thought "I can totally do this NaNoWriMo thing." But then real life got in the way and one of my kids had to have special testing done, and it was all so freaking stressful that I said "Screw it!" and put my laptop away.

Not that it helped keep me less stressed during the holidays. Real Day Job #1 compacted with Real Day Job #2 and being Mommy, and well - you get the picture. Let's just say I ate. a. lot. Which depressed me even more, because let me tell you, being fat is no picnic, especially when you have a lot of stairs in your house.

So there I was, stuck in this endless cycle of misery and depression and not wanting to do anything.

And then I was driving to Real Day Job #2 and a song came on Pandora and I thought, "Huh, that might work for one of my unfinished projects that needed to be finished like last year."

And then there was another song, and another, and another, and before I knew it, I was rewriting the plot in my head and wishing I had a tape recorder - and that my phone wasn't in use for something else - to record all these awesome ideas on.

So I went home and started writing again. Just 2200 words at first. And then I let it sit for a few weeks because, life. And Real Day Job #2 again.

But now things have calmed down a bit. Sure, life is always going to be stressful with doctor appointments, school, homework, work, real life crap I don't want to have to deal with. But I'm finally in a good place with this story and the plot and the way I want to take it, that I think I'll start working on it more.

And if I start working on it more, then that means more sneak peeks over on the Facebook page for you all! So, head on over there, like my page (make sure you set notifications to on!) and get ready for some excerpts.


No comments:

Post a Comment