All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Camping in April



So I'm writing for Camp Nano again. This time I think I'll finish. My goal is 50,000 words - a lot, I know - but I'm working on something I've been thinking about for a while. It's got a lot of mystery to it. It's going to be really interesting seeing how it all plays out in the end. I'm actually really excited about it.

I started off slow. Only a couple thousand words the first few days, then ending with just over 5000 last week. Well, when I logged into my server to get my file, it hadn't updated last week. Nope. I lost approximately 1000 words.

It was really hard on me.

But I got them back, and I think they're even better this time around. I honestly can't really remember what that other 1000 words was about, just that it was kind of boring. I might have been making my characters eat. I hate writing about eating. It's kind of obnoxious. Can't we just assume that book characters eat? Unless it's totally pivotal to the story, and then by all means, write the eating in. But, in most cases, it seems like it's just a filler. I have a friend writing a novel, and she said to me once that it felt like her main character was seriously eating every time she wrote a scene. So, whenever I write a food scene, I try to remember that conversation and then I pare down the eating. Because eating is BORING.

Anyway, I'm really digging the mystery that's suddenly popped up into this project. There are several characters I just started writing into the story, and they're really going to make a mess of things I think. Which is good. It keeps me on my toes. I mean, I know where this book needs to end up, but for the most part I haven't planned anything out.

I posted an excerpt over on the Facebook page, so head over there and let me know what you think! Seriously, I want it all: the good, the bad (but please keep it clean; it's a family-friendly page). Leave a comment. Or you could like it. You could even share the post if you wanted to. I'd totally let you. Whatever you do, keep in mind that it's a totally unedited piece of what I wrote tonight.

And with that, I'm going to call it a night. I'm only at just under 7500 words so I need to rest and let those creative juices flow so I can catch up on the ever-elusive word count goal.

50,000! What was I thinking?! (No, but seriously, what was I thinking?)

Thanks for following and for all your support!

XOXO,

J.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment