All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Monday, April 6, 2015

The Why


WHY?

That's a question I get asked a lot. Second only to "How did you come up with this?" - but that's another post for another day.

To get back to my #2 question:

Why?

Why do you write?

Honestly? It's kind of a compulsion. Even if I'm not writing at all (like this past year - dark days, people, dark days), I'm constantly thinking about where the story is going or what my characters look like. Last week I even gave one of my main characters a drastic hair cut and color.

Yes, they are fictitious.

Yes, they really only live in my head - for now.

But when they are finally ready to meed the world, it'll be great.

Again, back to the "why?" and the compulsion to actually write a novel.

A) I love it! Seeing something I've dreamed up come to life on paper/my computer screen is amazing. There's this giant bundle of mixed emotions once I type the last words, but it's totally worth it.

B) Hearing people's reactions - even the bad ones - is awesome. At first it's totally scary.
What if they don't like it?
What if my book totally tanks?
What if I fail?
Don't listen to the what ifs!! I know, it's hard. That's why I took a year off: too many what ifs. But once you block them out and accept the good, the bad, and the "it was just okay" reviews, you're set. My philosophy? If they wrote a review - or even gave it some stars - you touched the reader enough to elicit a response.

And that's what's important.

So now, when people ask why, I respond:

"Because I love it."

It's as simple as that.

So what's your why? Tell me why you do what you do in the comments!

XOXO,

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment