All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reading Challenge


Have you participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge before? It's currently in its fifth year, and I've set my biggest goal ever.


Goodreads: Book reviews, recommendations, and discussion
 

I know, it sounds crazy. But it's totally doable.

Two weeks ago we signed our littlest one (3 years old) up for the 1000 books before Kindergarten reading program at our local library. It challenges the parents and the children to read a range of books, completing 1000 books before the child begins kindergarten.

We have roughly two years until that happens.

And so I set my goal for 2015 to read 500 books. That's half (and they get a prize when they get halfway, which is awesome and she's really excited about it!).

We're two weeks in and already at 74 books.

I know, I know, the widget says (as of May 10, 2015) that I'm only at 73.

Guess what? If your kid really likes a book and you read it more than once, it counts each time!

BONUS!!

We've only re-read 2 books. So far, so good.

The best part of it is that it's exposing me to children's books I never knew about, or reminding me of some of my favorites from childhood I'd forgotten. And the 3yo is finding some favorites of her own.
Our reading stack from the last 3 nights.

She's OBSESSED with the Curious George series.

And she LOVES Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type. She whispered "Click clack moo" as she fell asleep tonight. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

The Fancy Nancy and Madeline series are also looking to become new favorites. I grew up on the Madeline books, so it makes me happy she loves them as much as I did. Fancy Nancy is new to both of us, but darling.

Every night she asks for "Just one more book?" And every night, I oblige.

I checked 32 books out from the library on Saturday. We've already read half of them!

I think my favorite part of this whole experience - so far - is that reading has always been a big part of my life, and she is starting to love it as much as I did. I was the kid who snuck into the hall and read by the light coming from downstairs because I had to know what happened next in my Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Bobbsey Twins books (and ruined - RUINED!!! - my eyes in the process).

My son loves reading, but on his own terms. He hates that it's required 30 minutes daily for school. I think if he could just read whenever and whatever, he'd be happier. The library is seriously becoming one of his favorite places, and I couldn't be more proud. And now his sister is joining in the family tradition.

So, what do you read with your kids? Do you have a reading goal? It's not too late to join the challenge! Sure, we're about halfway through the year (almost) but that doesn't mean you can't still get in 1, 2, or even 10 books.

Read. Read to gain knowledge. Read for fun. Read to your kids.

Whatever you do, just READ.

(Oh, yeah, and read my books, because they are seriously great!) haha ;)

XOXO,

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment