All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 21










Dear Diary,

It's been almost a week since I've been able to get any writing done. I think I got a little distracted by some of my offshoots in my story, and it kind of bogged me down. But, I think I'm back on track finally. Here are my stats:

Goal: 50,000
Day 21 total: 1,578
Day 21 running total: 35,068
Words remaining: 14,932

Wait, what? Did the goal change? Why yes, yes it did. I thought I'd have way more from my first draft that I could use for this rewrite, so I made my goal HUGE for Camp this month. 70,000 words doesn't seem so bad when you're pulling over at least 25,000 words from a previous version, does it? Except that I decided to go in a completely different way this time around, and I'm really liking it a lot more. So, the 70,000 word goal had to go away as well. I'm practically writing this all from the start. It shouldn't even be called a rewrite, except that the basic plot and characters were all written previously.

I didn't write a ton tonight, but I did make some progress in the whole Rob-Jamie Lynn plot. And, since it's kind of important, I took my time on it. So, without further ado, here is a little excerpt from what I did tonight:

“We’re being followed,” she said quietly. Her hands went down to her sides and clutched the seat cushion.
“I know.”
“You know?” Her eyes widened with alarm. He should be more concerned, shouldn’t he? She took a deep breath as she consciously relaxed her hands, releasing her grip on the leather piping outlining the seat. “Aren’t you worried?”
Rob shook his head. “Nope. Your dad told me your security team would most likely be hanging around.”
“Most likely?” She swallowed the lump of fear in her throat and took a deep breath. It was her security team. It had to be. “What do you mean, most likely? You mean it could be someone other than my security team?”
Rob shrugged. “But who knows you’re here? Everyone thinks you’re in Columbus, right?”
He didn’t even look to her as he asked, but his tone was cool and biting. Her stomach flopped.
He knew.
“Listen, Rob, I was going to tell you, but –”
“When?”
“Huh?” His question took her by surprise.
“When were you going to tell me?” he asked, his eyes glued to the road ahead of him.
“Monday, when you went back to State,” she whispered.
“So you were going to wait for me to leave, thinking you were going back to Columbus, and then what? Call me up on the phone and tell me, just kidding, you’re staying in Rushton?”
He was hurt. She bit her lower lip, unsure of what exactly to say. She hadn’t planned on having that conversation in person. She had planned to have it on the phone, exactly as he described. She stared down at her hands as they fidgeted with the hem of her sweater in her lap.
“I’m sorry,” she said, her voice cracking with emotion. “I didn’t know how to tell you." 
.....to be continued......

{Sorry, no SPOILERS!} ;)

As always, thanks for reading!

XOXO,

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment