All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 5










Dear Diary,

So it's day 5 at Camp NaNo and I haven't written very much. It's almost like I've been in a kind of a slump. I know where I want this to go, but it's getting there that I'm having trouble with.

Until tonight, that is.

I stayed up way past lights out (it's 1:30 AM!!) to write, and I got a decent amount of words written. I'm really happy with where this is going.

Here's today's stats:

Goal: 70,000
Day 5 total: 1602
Day 5 running total: 11,363
Words remaining: 58,637

I'm well on my way. According to the Camp Nano dashboard, I will finish on May 1st at this rate. So, all I have to do is step it up a little bit and I'll totally hit my goal by the end of the month.

And, because I love to torment anyone who reads my diary, here's another excerpt from today's writing. Again, keep in mind this is totally unedited.

Jamie Lynn opened the laptop again. She needed to email Detective Turturro the photos. She opened the folder and stared at the man on the screen. She’d never seen him before. His hair was dark – almost black – but with white streaks down the sides, and peppered with a little bit of gray. His nose was long and pointed, and he had a sharp chin. But his eyes were what really disturbed her. They were black and glared into the screen like he knew who he was looking at, even if he couldn’t see her. Jamie Lynn shivered as she pressed the send button on her email, the photos attached. Now she just had to sit back, wait, and hope Turturro could do something with it. Because if he couldn’t, she was in trouble. Someone knew she wasn’t in Columbus. They’d sent that man to find her, and she hadn’t been there. But a girl on a Skype call in the middle of class had been. And that girl knew where she was. She knew how to contact her. And, if they got her, Jamie Lynn would be next.
She grabbed her phone and dialed Detective Turturro’s number. It rang straight to voicemail.

“Detective,” she said breathlessly into the phone. “I need to talk to you. It’s urgent. I think Wellington is about to have someone kidnapped.”


I don't know what it is about writing at night, but I always tend to pick the intense parts of my day's writing. I finally have a clear-ish idea of what is going to happen in the next few middle chapters, and I cannot wait to see how it all plays out toward my ending. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to get some writing done. I'd really like to be at 15,000 by the end of the day.

XOXO,

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment