All of the work presented on this blog is © Joanna Peterson.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Welcome to Camp Nano



Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of Camp. I'm pretty excited. I've got a fairly good idea where I'm going with this story. Now to just get there!

My cabin isn't as active as last year, but maybe it's just opening day jitters? I'm one of the oldest in the cabin - I think - and I have one of the highest word count goals. Guess it's up to me to be the example and show these teenagers how it's done, eh?

Here's today's stats:

Goal: 70,000
Day 1 total: 8,111
Words remaining: 61,889

That's totally doable, right? I think so. I hope so.

And, to wrap things up, here's an excerpt from today's writing. Keep in mind this is totally raw, unedited. Sorry for any mistakes/typos!

“We aren’t crazy, are we?” Julie Turner slipped into her husband’s office and leaned against the wall by the door.
“What are you talking about?” Todd asked, not even looking up at her from the papers scattered across his desk.
“Jamie Lynn,” she sighed. “Part of me wants to believe she’s fine. That she’ll be okay if we let her out of our sight –” Her voice caught and she leaned her forehead against her palm.
“Julie, she’s going to be fine once she gets done with therapy,” Todd’s smile was condescending as he finally glanced up from his work. “She’ll get through this eventually.”
“But what if it doesn’t ever work? What if therapy is just repressing everything? What if she never really comes back to us?” Tears trickled down Julie’s face and she slid to the floor, hanging her head in her hands. “What have we done to our baby, Todd? What have we done?”
Todd set his jaw and pushed back from his desk, walking across the room to her side. He knelt beside her and drew her into his arms.
“We didn’t do anything wrong,” he whispered. “Nothing that has happened has been our fault, Julie.”
“How can you say that?” she hissed, pulling away from him. “After everything that happened? You know who Wellington is, don’t you?”
Todd refused to look at her, staring instead at the intricately patterned Persian rug that covered most of the hardwood floor in his study.
“Todd,” she prodded. “Todd, who is Wellington?”
“I’m not sure,” he said softly, shaking his head from side to side.
“I am.”
Todd raised his head, his eyes meeting hers and holding them fast with his gaze. “No, you aren’t. You don’t know it’s him. We’ll never know for sure until he’s caught, but I have my doubts. I don’t think you’re right.”
Julie pushed up from the floor and stalked out of the room, pausing in the doorway for a moment. “When you change your mind, when you realize I was right, I’ll try not to gloat. I warned you back then, and I’m going to warn you now: we need to go public. We need to tell everyone what happened. We need –”
“Enough!” Todd shouted, stopping her mid-sentence. Julie’s eyes widened in fear, and he softened his tone. “We don’t need to do anything. Not yet. Not until we’re certain it’s him. Do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal,” Julie bit out, her voice taking on an icy tone.


Hehehehehe! I'm so evil! Secrets! So many secrets in this book!! OMG! I cannot wait to finish this!

Okay, diary. They're calling for lights out. A little early tonight. It's only 11. *shrugs* Oh well, I did a good job. I'm happy with it. Onwards and upwards in word count tomorrow! Hope to hit 15,000! Wish me luck!

XOXO,

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment